[Return to CS/Math 166 Homepage]
Sample Topics and Questions
This is not an exclusive list. It is merely meant to highlight some
of the major topics covered since the second midterm. It also includes
topics that may be appropriately asked on the two midterms. Students are also
referred to the topics listed on the review pages for the first and
- Avoid "Catastrophic cancellation" in certain expressions.
- Find the next n intervals using the bisection method for
- Given the time it takes to solve a certain sized system
via Gaussian elimination, how long does it take to solve a different
- Decompose a matrix into an LU-decomposition.
- Find the normal equations for a linear system.
- Use the Gauss-Seidel iteration method to find several
iterations for a linear system.
- Use the trapezoidal rule to approximate the integral.
- Use Richardson's extrapolation to get a better approximation.
- How many panels are needed to get a certain degree of
accuracy via Simpson's rule?
- Use Gaussian quadrature to evaluate an integral.
- Create a new quadrature formula.
- Change an n-th order ODE into a coupled system of first
- "Solve" an ODE-BVP by discretization techniques, i.e.,
set up the appropriate linear system in matrix form.
This page is maintained by Dennis C. Smolarski, S.J.
© Copyright 2001, 2007, 2008 Dennis C. Smolarski, SJ, All rights reserved.
Last changed: 15 March 2008.