Midterm 1 Review
[Return to CS/Math 166 Homepage]
Sample Topics and Questions
This is not an exclusive list. It is merely meant to highly some
of the major topics covered since the beginning of the course. In general,
to prepare for the midterm, check over homework problems and examples
in the book and in the notes.
- Convert from decimal numbers (including fractions) to binary
and vice versa.
- Find the absolute, relative, and percent errors, given the
approximate answer and the exact answer.
- Perform "constrained" arithmetic, i.e., arithmetic using n
digits and "chopping" or "rounding."
- Find the Taylor (Maclaurin) series expansion for a specified
- Detect and correct sources of errors.
- Compute the order of convergence of a particular iterative
- Be able to set up the key iteration step in various methods
of finding roots of non-linear equations.
- Discuss the pros and cons of the various methods for
finding roots of non-linear equations.
- Discuss (and find) the condition number of a matrix.
- Determine whether a matrix is orthogonal.
- Find the norm of a vector and a matrix.
- Solve a linear system.
- Perform matrix/vector arithmetic.
This page is maintained by Dennis C. Smolarski, S.J.
© Copyright 2001-2008 Dennis C. Smolarski, SJ, All rights reserved.
Last changed: 15 March 2008.